Can power user open "Add/Remove Windows Components"?
I need to create a user which must belongs to "Power Users" group. When this user clicking "Add/Remove Windows Components", it shows "you do not have permissions to use Add/Remove Windows Components. Ask a computer administrator to install optional component for you"How can I grant "Add/Remove Windows Components" permission to Power Users?
November 14th, 2009 11:54am

Which Server edition are you running? Because in Windows Server 2008, one of the more significant changes is that the permissions for Power Users have been all but stripped. A few remnants may still exist, but for all practical purposes, Power Users are no longer any more powerful than Standard Users. This is a transitional step toward the eventual deprecation of the Power Users group altogether. The original intent behind the Power Users group was for it to be a group that would be able to do some sensitive things, but would not be outright administrators. However, by the time all the various permissions were added to make the group meaningful, they were a hairsbreadth from being administrators. In reality, making a user a Power User was tantamount to making her an administrator. Because it provided no value and was potentially misleading, Microsoft embarked on disabling the group. UAC now fills the purpose that Power Users failed to fill. In Windows Server 2003, can only install and run applications that do not affect the operating system. Since this affects that operating system. I would suggest the following: Create an unattend answer file and usesysocmgr.exe to deploy via GPO Install the components as Administrator. As you may have noticed, I'am not a big fan of Power Users, because: A member of the Power Users group may be able to gain additional rights and permissions on your computer, and may be able to gain complete administrative credentials. A member of the Power Users group may also be able to expose your computer to other security risks, such as running a virus or running a Trojan horse program.By default, the rights and permissions that are granted to the Power Users group include those rights and permissions that are required to allow members of the Power Users group to modify computer-wide settings, to install drivers, and to run (or install) non-certified programs. For example, a member of the Power Users group could install a malicious program or a DLL, and then cause the administrator or a system service to run the malicious program or the DLL. By using this technique or other techniques, the member of the Power Users group may be able to gain additional rights and permissions on your computer, including complete administrative credentials. Certifications: MCSA 2003 MCSE 2003
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2009 5:42pm

Thanks for your reply, I'm not the fan of Power Users as well, just because of the company security policy...
December 11th, 2009 10:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics